Friday 20 July 2012

Enrichment Week 2012


During Enrichment Week this year, I was involved in two activities: Communications Day and the Wymondham Life Filming Project.  The English Department was running several other activities (such as Genre Day and the Readathon with Year 7),  but I was not involved with them.

Communications Day was devised for the whole of Year 10 and its aim was to get one of the GCSE English Speaking and Listening CATS (controlled assessments) completed.

The first part of the day was spent doing team building activities which were supposed to help students practise skills they would need after lunch when they were formally assessed.  After an introduction in the Chapel, everyone was put into groups of about 20.  The groups (supervised by one teacher) then moved from room to room every 10 minutes in a carousel.  Each room had a different activity.

After morning break, everyone went back to the Chapel where the afternoon assessment was introduced - a Balloon Debate.  Mrs. Arnold lead this part of the day which included a demonstration. Five teachers 'in role' played five 'students'; I was the Band 4/D Grade candidate.



The students were then given some time to practise and prepare for the assessment which was due to begin at about 2.15pm.  My group really got into what we were doing and I had a rewarding day.

The rest of the week I was part of the small group who were based in the Studio in the International Centre.  Most of the students were from Year 12 and were Media students, so I knew them well.  The filming project's aim was to produce a short film about what was happening at Wymondham College during Enrichment Week as a record of events, but also to be put on the school's website.

Although I did not take part in Genre Day or the Readathon the Monday, I have done so in the past.  I did, however, take some photos of what the English Department were up to without me (see below).








No comments:

Post a Comment